March 20, 2020
The IRS has also postponed the date payments from individual returns are due until July 15th.
a) This applies to amounts less than $1,000,000.
b) This also applies to estimated payments due April 15th, 2020. No guidance has been issued on estimated payments due June 15, 2020 yet.
c) Corporations, Trusts and Estates also have the payment dates extended. For corporations, this applies to payments less than $10,000,000.
With these changes we will be prioritizing tax returns with refunds. Other returns with balances due will be completed next. We assume if you owe money to the IRS that you will not be paying until near the new due date of July 15th. We will be in contact with our business clients over the next several weeks to discuss the progress on your return.
Public health leaders have made it clear the social distancing is a critical step in slowing the coronavirus. They are encouraging businesses to do their part in social distancing to limit the risk of exposure.
With these developments and for the safety of our team and our clients, we are making the following changes to our tax return processes until this crisis passes.
1. Beginning Wednesday March 18, our front door will be locked. We want to receive and send documents electronically. We will not have any in-office appointments until this situation improves.
2. We will be cutting back on the number of hours we work and will be partially working remotely from home. WE WILL STILL BE AVAILABLE BY EMAIL AND CALLS TO OUR OFFICE WILL BE FORWARDED TO OUR HOMES WHEN WE ARE WORKING REMOTELY. The reason is for the health of our staff. Normal tax season hours are long and stressful and lead to a lowered immunity. We need to stay healthy.
3.If we have not received your tax documents as of today, you will have the following options to submit your information:
- Scan all your documents in PDF format and upload using the “Document Upload”feature on the home page of our website: WWW.SwartzCompanyCPA.com. Please call our office to inform us that you have uploaded documents.
-Call or email our office and we will email you a secure link to use to send us the PDF scans.
- Mail the documents to our office.
-If none of these options are possible for you call the office to discuss other arrangements.
DO NOT EMAIL PERSONAL DOCUMENTS WITHOUT OUR SECURE LINK.REGULAR EMAILS ARE NOT SECURE.
3. Your tax return may not be completed by April 15th. There will be NO tax extension fee from our firm or late payment or filing penalties from the IRS until July 15th.
4. When your return is completed, you will receive a call as usual. You will receive instructions as to how to retrieve your tax return and documents.
5. If there is missing information needed to complete your return, you will be contacted by the preparer. We have several ways to submit documents to us electronically. We do not want documents to be dropped off at this time.
We apologize for any inconvenience this new process may cause but do appreciate your understanding during this unprecedented situation. The reason for these actions is to protect the health of both our staff and you.
Again, please check our website for updates-things are changing every day. Please call our office if you have any questions.